Many people choose not to have a relationship. It can sometimes be difficult for other people to accept this decision, especially family members and friends.
However if being single feels like the right thing for you then that's fine. Don't let anyone tell you there's something wrong because you don't want a long term relationship.
Some people want to be in a relationship but find it difficult to meet someone they want to be in a relationship with. For some people, not being in a relationship can make them feel sad or down about themselves. If you have difficult feelings about not being in a relationship then it can be helpful to talk through your feelings honestly. See the contacts below if you would like to talk to someone.
Things to think about when you're not in a relationship:
- Not being in a relationship is different for everyone. Some people enjoy it others don't. Try making a long list of all the things that make you happy, and make sure that you do at least some of them regularly
- Stay in touch with your friends, keep all your lines of communication open, and get out and about
- Don't rush into looking for someone new, especially when you're not feeling confident or good about yourself
- Please yourself, one of the advantages of not being in a relationship is that you can do your own thing when you want to do it
- If you're having sex with people when you're not in a relationship, make sure you're being honest with yourself about your feelings on this and always look after your sexual health by using contraception or condoms and lubricant
- If you are using dating agencies, speed dating or dating websites, make sure you think about your personal safety. Let someone you trust know what you're doing and where you're going, and be honest about what you want and don't want.